My tiny lifestyle has cracked open an otherwise implausible freedom.
I thus found that the student who wishes for a shelter can obtain one for a lifetime at an expense not greater than the rent which he now pays annually... How could youths better learn to live than by at once trying the experiment of living.
~Henry David Thoreau
Take a tour
some up-to-date photos
How it's done
Quick Facts and Numbers
- 90% of material was local (within 200mi radius).
- 51% of material salvaged.
- 39% of material from local businesses.
- 5% of material was outsourced.
- 8 local business sponsors donations.
- 13,000lbs total weight.
- 27ft long.
- 8.5ft wide.
- 13ft tall from the ground.
- 1 toilet with 2 toilet seats: #1 and #2.
- countless supporters and motivators.
- 2.5 years spent planning.
- 64 weekends spent building.
- $15,000 spent.
- 60 hours spent on Craigslist.
- 15 total construction volunteers.
- 4 months of land seeking (parking).
- 12 land offers (parking).
- 23 phone calls to town government
- 2 semi-receptive town officials
- One 8mi move to Hadley, MA.